It all started in 1857 when L. L. Carpenter and James Hadsell held meetings in the Maple Grove Schoolhouse, then situated on the northwest corner of the Philip Roos farm in Chesterfield Township. At times the services were held in the barn of the Roos homestead. In the following year, April 1858 the church was organized.
The church at the onset was a strong one. There were 70 charter members. A few of the names were Mr. and Mrs. Philip Roos, George Roos, Mr. and Mrs. Levi Terry, Mrs. Sarah Wait Sheffield and her son Fred.
A meeting was called by Rev. J. C. Goodrich for the purpose of organizing a society to build a meeting house. Plyn Harden, James Onweller and J. P. Roos were appointed trustees, George Roos as treasurer. Seven years later in 1865 the house of worship was built.
J. H. Turner and Albert Deyo were carpenters, Jerry and George Sheffield, Charles H. Stutesman and Chester Whelch, who were small boys, helped to raise the building. A site had been purchased from William Onweller Sr. for $50. The deed was written December 17, 1864.
Turner and Deyo were to furnish a frame structure complete for $2300. Joseph Brown built it. The building was completed within contract time and was dedicated on December 21, 1865 as a house of worship.
East Chesterfield was the only church in Chesterfield Township at the time. It is the oldest active Christian (Disciples of Christ) Church and one of the oldest church buildings in Fulton County.
The church family has always been close and active. The Lord still has plans for this country church. The present members still have strong dedication and commitment in keeping our doors open. All are welcome.
East Chesterfield Christian
Church | 14901 County Rd. 14 | Lyons OH 43533 | 419-337-5683
Church | 10925 County Rd. 10-2 | Delta OH 43515 | 419-822-4503
Pastor Floyd Vincent | Home 419-220-4070 | Cell 419-822-6356