The red chalice bearing the "X" shaped cross of St. Andrew, which has come to be the symbol of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), was developed in 1969. The chalice symbolizes the centrality of the Lord's Supper as well as the cup of Christian self-giving for the world.
The St. Andrew's Cross, national cross of Scotland, focuses attention on the Scottish Presbyterian roots of the church. Thomas and Alexander Campbell both studied in Scotland and were Presbyterians, drawing many of their ideas from developments taking place in that country. St. Andew, too, has been identified with the laity and evangelism, prominent emphases of the Disciples over the years.
Since 1968 when the Provisional Design was accepted by the General Assembly, the name of the denomination has been Christian Church (Disciples of Christ.) The compound name recognizes the historical coming together of two movements in 1832.
The "Christian Church" part of the name stems from the church's Kentucky ancestry and Barton W. Stone, whose followers dissolved their Presbyterian relationship in favor of a church less complicated, less dedicated to the use of creeds as tests of belief and more open to the reunion of Christians. Thomas and Alexander Campbell, whose movement to restore Christian unity developed similarly but separately in western Pennsylvania, rebelled against dogmatic sectarianism. Campbell chose "Disciples of Christ" because he felt it was less pretentious than "Christian Church."
For more information on the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), please visit our denomination's web site, www.disciples.org or visit the Christian Church's Ohio site at www.ccinoh.org.